Does music move you the same as building technology? Are you looking to work on something to believe in? Our Digital marketplace is looking for you here at Discogs.
This is a remote position. Open to candidates located in OR, WA, CA, CO, ID, AZ, TX, IL
Who We Are
Discogs is the largest crowd-sourced, community-driven database of recorded music information in the world. Every day, millions of people use the Discogs Marketplace to connect, learn about music, and buy and sell vinyl records, CDs, and cassettes. As Discogs continues to grow, we are looking for bright, dedicated, creative, and highly motivated people to help us realize our mission to serve the music fan in everyone. We are relatively small, so individual contributions can have a large impact. High value is placed on quality, critical thinking, and continuous improvement. Our teams work collaboratively but are distributed geographically and open-source tools are important to who we are and how we work. We value the experiences and skills each team member contributes to helping us serve our music community.
Who We’re Looking For
What You’ll Do
- Plan, develop, and deploy server-side and client-side software in sprint cycles.
- Observe, debug and optimize production systems with thousands of concurrent users.
- Research new frontiers, prototype implementations and share knowledge.
- Communicate openly and collaborate frequently with Product and Engineering teams to quickly deliver high quality products that maximize value to the Discogs ecosystem.
- Take responsibility over large, complex features from concept to design to delivery with no guidance.
- Maintain, rebuild and adapt legacy codebases alongside modernizing our stack.
- Assists team with estimation and prioritization of development efforts.
- Coaches and mentors other engineers by providing recommendations, technical oversight, code reviews and feedback.
- Demonstrate a consistent commitment to Discogs core values and operating principles.
- Work with your team on planning and completing department goals that align with overall business objectives.
- Be an effective communicator by listening carefully, asking questions, and being transparent, timely, and diplomatic across all levels of the organization.
- Stay informed on what is happening within the business and help others understand business decisions and the company direction by positively representing the company view.
- Provide technical knowledge, coach and mentor others in the department and company.
- Stay informed on new technologies within your specialization and implement them as needed.
- Use analytic skills to communicate and drive decisions for your team based on data.
- In partnership with your manager, start to plan, evaluate, and improve the efficiency of your department to enhance speed, quality, efficiency, and output.
- In partnership with your manager, plan, forecast and monitor financial budget and headcount needs.
What You’ll Need
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent professional experience
- 7+ years of experience developing software solutions
- 1+ year experience as a technical lead
- Building, operating, troubleshooting and optimizing production systems under load.
- Interface with relational databases using SQL.
- Using Git and conducting code reviews within a sprint SDLC.
- Designed and led a software project from requirements to delivery.
- Completed a significant refactor of an existing software project.
- Independently researched and led technical discussions with peers.
- Presented information for decision-making by non-technical audiences.
- Familiarity with Build systems, DevOps and CI/CD procedures.
- Familiarity with cloud services.
- eCommerce experience
- Completed large-scale systems migrations.
- Use of containerization and orchestration technologies, Docker and Kubernetes.
- FastAPI, Ariadne, React, GraphQL, Kafka, React Native, Flask, Gherkin, Playwright
- AWS, DataDog, Sentry, Cloudflare
- Serverless functions, distributed/edge systems and event driven architectures.
- ADA / WCAG Compliance
What We Provide
- Competitive compensation: salary, plus performance-related bonus program
- 401(k) with employer match
- 100% company-paid medical and dental insurance benefits for you and your dependents
- 4 weeks paid vacation, increasing based on tenure
- 18 weeks paid leave for birth moms
- 8 weeks paid parental leave, including for adoption
- Monthly wellness allowance
- Annual professional and personal development allowance
- Work from home office set-up and expense allowances
- Flexible work location opportunities
- Employer matching toward charitable contributions
What We Believe In
Discogs’ mission is to serve the music fan in everyone. We represent a diverse and inclusive community, and we are committed to serving our community with innovative and creative solutions. We know that innovation happens best when varying perspectives are embraced and integrated. Our global team reflects our global community.
Discogs is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Applicants needing accommodation to apply should contact us at 503-597-6340
If you apply for this role, you will be required to upload a resume, cover letter, and fill out a few questions regarding your application. Once submitted, our hiring team will review your application and contact you if you are selected for an interview. Whether you are successful or not, we will store your application and data in our system for a maximum period of one year from the application date in case another role becomes available that you are suitable for. If you have any questions or concerns about us storing this data and/or the period of time, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will respond to you within 30 days.